Thursday, November 13, 2008

Response to Comments

I got the idea that cocaine was referenced in the song by "dirt" because cocaine was a drug Trent Reznor struggled with heavily, and cocaine has a little bit of a dirt consistency.  I realize dirt meaning cocaine may be a stretch, but I think that it probably means more than but the "empire" certainly includes drugs.

The song if off the album, "The Downward Spiral," in which the entire album is about a character as he goes into a downward spiral of life.  "Hurt" is the last song on the album, following a song in which the character dies.  Throughout the album, many things, including drug addiction, are discussed as being factors in the character's life.  Drugs are a big part, so this is what I associated the "empire of dirt" with.  Cocaine as dirt is me going out on a interpretation limb, but it kind of fit to me.  Thanks for the other ideas.


1 comment:

Kevin Olech said...

pretty interesting connection i dig it. The song is definitely about drug addiction i agree. However i believe it's about heroin. Maybe he says dirt in reference to the brown color heroin turns after adding water? Also a street of heroin is brown.
just a thought. N.I.N rules.