Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Analysis of Final Stanza

You could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt
If I could start again
A million miles away 
I would keep myself 
I would find a way

This is the part of the story where I think the narrator feels uplifted and better about everything.  I think he repeats the lines about giving up his "empire of dirt" to show that he has given up his problems and his pain.  If he is really going to change, he has to let go of his "empire".  I think that his purpose in repeating the lines is to show that he is doing that.  

He also repeats the lines about "letting you down" and "I will make you hurt".  I think that these lines show the most important theme in the song, and that is being finally being okay with who he is.  I think he is saying that he will let people down and make them hurt as he goes through his life, and he realizes thins and he is okay with it because it is necessary to be who he is.  The lines "If I could start again, I would keep myself, I would find a way", end the song.  I think these lines go back to the being okay with who he is theme.  Overall, I think the song ends on a positive, powerful note.  It addresses the concept of being okay with who you are and being proud of yourself for giving up your demons, and being ready to take on life knowing that you cannot please everybody.  He is going to "find  a way" to keep himself by letting go of his "empire of dirt", and I think that is one of the most important themes in the song.

2 comments:

Wiedbrauk said...

"I will make you hurt" is an interesting mutation of the opening "I hurt myself today." If nothing else there's been a transference of whom that self inflicted pain is hurting.

Kafar said...

Well, I think by this lines he says, he would be better if he would be somebody else, but he is who he is and he can't change it. And it may be some kind of stuff, like: "it's not my foult, if I was born
a million miles away I would be some other person." So I don't think he is going to change, he just try to not to take responibylity for his actins. Sorry for my english, I'm outlander.