Wednesday, November 5, 2008

General Analysis of Hurt

Hurt is a song written by Trent Reznor and preformed by Nine Inch Nails, released in 1994.  The song is usually preformed live with a piano.  
 
The first stanza of Hurt sets the tone for the rest of the song.  A quick read reveals the song as being dark, gloomy, and honest, with the narrator  taking a retrospective journey.  There are 5 short stanzas but each tells a different story that relates to the preceding one.  After a quick read, I feel that the song is not entirely about the narrator hurting himself but other people, that the narrator is analyzing his character in a way that reminds me of  introspection, and that at the end of the song he has reached a conclusion.  By that I mean that unlike some songs which simply talk about a single thought or mindset, Hurt reaches an answer to questions in the lyrics.  

This is my general view, my next posts will analyze each stanza and several single lines. 

6 comments:

Batman2012 said...

Your argument seems very valid. The line, "I will you let you down
I will make you hurt," implies that he fears not only hurting himself, but the people around him. Good Job.

Alanna said...

what made you think he is telling stories of different people when he uses the word "I" in the song?

Wiedbrauk said...

I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about each stanza individually.

I'll be interested to hear about where you think the song departs from talking solely about the narrator ... or do you mean by "he song is not entirely about the narrator hurting himself but other people" that it's other people hurting themselves, or the narrator hurting other people?

D. Malone said...

He says things like 'you' and 'my sweetest friend' who do you think he is referring to?

Ian.k said...

In response to Alanna's comment:
Alanna said, "what made you think he is telling stories of different people when he uses the word "I" in the song?"

I do not think that the narrator is telling stories of different people. I think each stanza tells a bit of a different story as he goes through looking back on his life. Sorry if that was confusing.

Unknown said...

You list that the song is "dark, gloomy, and honest" but what makes you believe that the song is particularly "honest"? Most writers, especially lyricists, write fiction in their songs, or fictionalize some part of their lives when writing songs.

On another note, your view that the writer is probably hurting others as well as himself has real merit.