Saturday, November 15, 2008

Analysis of Beginning of the Third Stanza

I wear this crown of shit
Upon my liar's chair

I see the the crown of shit and the liar's chair as a reference to a twisted throne and crown.  In the previous stanza, the narrator talks about how he has an empire of dirt, and I feel that in these lines he is building that idea by saying he is a kind of king of that empire, wearing a crown and sitting in a throne.  But, in his case, the empire is nothing to be proud of, as it consists of drugs and everything else bad he has done in his life.  I think he tells us a little bit more of what is in the "empire" in this stanza by talking about the "liar's chair".  This may be a way of saying that he has led a life filled with lies, and the crown he wars is nothing but shit a s a result.

Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

This may be talking about the narrator sitting on his liar's chair thinking about the past, the thoughts he has are broken.  I think he is thinking about what he has done, particularly some of the people he has hurt.  He knows that some of the damage he has done he "cannot repair" in his or other peoples' lives.

Beneath the stains of time
The feeling disappears

In these lines, I think the narrator is starting to come out of his look into the past.  I think he is saying that after a while the "stains of time" make the "feeling disappear," meaning that time has the power to cover up the past with its "stains" and let things heal.  If I may use a stain on a shirt as an example, it is something that cover up the shirt's color, and I think the "stains of time" are starting to cover up his hurt. 

2 comments:

Like a Rolling Stone said...

how do you know that the "stains" are covering up his pain I instead saw the stains as covering up the person he originally was, and the feeling disappearing, just him becoming complacent with his current situation.

Wiedbrauk said...

Like a rolling stone makes an interesting point -- are the stains covering? Or are they seeping up from the pain that lies underneath them? I'm getting this great image of oil or lava bubbling up from the surface of the earth ...