Monday, November 17, 2008

Analysis of the End of the Third Stanza

You are someone else
I am still right here

I think that these lines are among the most important in the song.  I really see these lines as another point where he is starting to come out of looking back at all the pain and bad things in his life.  Reading this kind of gives me a feeling of unhappiness but also strength.  I feel that that these two lines tend to tell a story on their own, one of being held back by inner demons while everyone else moves on, but also one of remaining faithful to one's self in order to become stronger.  I feel he is trying to express what it is like to come back from being addicted and held down by pain, and have everyone else he knew be different since he last saw them.  Everyone else may be different, and all he is left with is himself being "right here".  I get this feeling not only reading it but also listening to it, due to the singer's distinctive tone for this part of the song.

1 comment:

Wiedbrauk said...

reading this post reminds me of "Hate Me" by Blue October in the sense that the singer/character in that song is struggling -- being held back by demons, as you say -- and he's purposefully pushing away someone who can help him, someone who wants to help him because that is what is best for that other person.

I think in "Hurt," there is a certain sense of awe, or reverence for the person who is now someone else. Although the idea of someone not being who we think they are is generally a bad connotation ... this could get interesting ...